Thursday, November 15, 2007

SOMEONE LIKE YOU by Sarah Dessen


Dessen, S. (1998). Someone like you. New York, New York: Penguin Group.
Summary: Best friends Halley and Scarlett live in the suburbs of America. Both have their share of family drama. Halley’s mother is an adolescent therapist and revolves much of her work around her own adolescent daughter. Scarlett’s mother wants to be an adolescent herself and places Scarlett in the parenting role. The two girls have always been there for one another and their friendship will be tested when everything changes their junior year of high school. Scarlett ends up pregnant by her summer fling who dies almost immediately after the baby was conceived. She needs Halley more than ever—but Halley soon finds love on her own. Will she have enough time for the both of them?
Rationale for Selection: The author, Sarah Dessen, is becoming quite popular with teenage girls. I have read a multitude of adolescent books, but am realizing that I am not keeping up on trendy, teenage girl novels. I try so hard to find great stuff for the guys in class that I am starting to let the girl stuff go by the wayside!
Reader Response: I initially read this book because one of my yearbook students gave it to me. I wanted to read another Sarah Dessen book because she has a title on the Florida Teens Read list for this year. I personally liked the book because I could relate to the “white, middle America” setting that the book portrayed. Sarah Dessen really has captured the niche for white, teenage, suburban girls. I’m not sure if the majority of my students would like this book. There may not be enough “drama” in the story for them!
Genre and Themes: This novel is realistic fiction and deals with themes such as teen pregnancy, friendship, family dynamics, death, and single parents.
Teacher Thinking Notes: I think this book would be great to use for a “student recommends” project. I recently read a study that says that students respond positively to a classroom that is filled with pictures of themselves. I would like to start taking pictures of students with favorite books that they recommend and post them around the classroom, media center, and school. I could use this book that “Kayla” recommended to me as a starter.
Grade or Reading Level: 7th grade-12th grade
Interest Level: High
Quality Level: Medium

No comments: